Monday, January 31

The "New" Math

Yesterday I was in a KFC, the bill come to $31.90. I handed the young, 20 or so, girl at the counter girl $42.00.

When she handed me back my change, I looked and she had given me back $8.12.

She entered in my payment as $40.02, and when I pointed out the error, she stared blankly at me, then the register, then me again.

I explained that I was due $10.10 back, but she just got more flustered and walked over to the manager, also in his early to mid twentys, she spend 2 or 3 minutes explaining to him what she had done, and then he looks up at me with the same blank stare she had given me moments earlier, and then yelled for someone to bring him a calculator.

I told him that he owned me $10.10, at which point he let out a nervous laugh, and said, "Give him back $10.10, he looks honest" to the original girl.

In all it took me about 5 minutes to complete what should have been a 30 second transaction.


Why do I tell you this? Please read more about the "history of
teaching math":

Teaching Math In 1950


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.

What is his profit?



Teaching Math In 1960


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.. His cost of
production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?



Teaching Math In 1980


A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of
production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline
the number 20.



Teaching Math In 1990


By cutting down beautiful forest trees, the logger makes $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question:

How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down the
trees? (There are no wrong answers)



Teaching Math In 2005


El hachero vende un camion carga por $100.

La cuesta de production es............. ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home