Monday, November 15

Another weekend gone.

We had beautiful weather this last weekend, a rarity for Michigan in November.

Clear skies and although it was a bit cooler than average, the fact that the sun was out more than made up for it.

It was a very busy weekend, too many things to do and too little time to do them all, but overall a productive one.

During a long tedious task I was doing, my mind wandered and I got to thinking about how we can make the world a better place for those that will come after us.

For the most part, I have my doubts that it can be done without the world becoming a much darker place first, we seem to need to be re-taught lessons learned long ago, but forgotten by most.

So today I guess I am going to preach a bit, which I find pretty damn of funny, because I am about as far from a religious person as you are bound to find in years of searching.

So here are the things that I believe need to be relearned/remembered before we have any hope for the future.

Civility

We all need to learn to be civil to people we come across in our day-to-day lives.

It amazes me at how angry people get at the perceived slights of total strangers.

Treat those you interact with on a daily basis with, at a minimum, respect.

You are no better, no more important, and your time is not more important than theirs is to them.

Community

Involvement in ones community, not just your church or clubs, but more diverse involvement. By this, I mean being involved with those you do not normally encounter in your normal day-to-day life.

This helps one to understand themselves and others better, and promotes trust, and without understanding and trust, it is hard to achieve anything that is positive.

Humor

Learn to laugh, and do it at least once a day.

Learn to laugh at yourself, and not be offended when others do.

Personal Responsibility

Take responsibility for yourself. Your actions, decisions, your family.

It really is very simple, if you caused the problem, you should expect to own it.

It is no one else's fault if you gamble, drink, and do not like your job. If it is a problem you created, then fix it yourself.

True Self Esteem

Not arrogance.
Not "I'm OK, you're OK" pop-psychology in the public schools bullcrap
Not "We've got money/stuff so we're better than you!" crap
Not "We are stronger than you, so therefore we're better than you!" but self esteem based on a true sense of self-worth and personal achievements.

Families working with their children to explore their child's strengths and talents, and then nurturing those talents can only achieve this.

Day cares or government schools cannot do it. If you treat your children as annoyances to your life, they will have no idea of true self-worth.



We let me step down from the pulpit, adjust myself and say we have more opportunities than any other that has come before. How do you think we will be remembered in the future if we throw it all away?

3 Comments:

Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

That was a wonderful post, thank you!

8:46 PM, November 17, 2004  
Blogger Living_on_the_Edge said...

You are very welcome, my loyal reader!

Actually I have another now, but you always remember your first with the most fondness. lol

Take Care

8:54 AM, November 18, 2004  
Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

Oh, you're too modest, I'm sure that you have quite a few other readers. But not too many folks like to comment. There's something to be said about using the Blogger commenting, which I use, too. A lot of people don't want to register to comment, or post anonymously. From what I've seen on the Word Press blogs & the Haloscan commenting - blogger manages to save us from spam.

12:28 PM, November 18, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home